Friday, December 19, 2008

Technology in the Studio

I often go through my old "Flute Talk" magazines to look for articles that may help me with any current repertoire I am learning. While reading through an old magazine issue (from September 2005), I came across an article entitled "Technology in the Studio" written by Tiffany Campell. I know that it is 3 years old, but things that she writes still ring true today.

Tiffany Campbell pointed out how many resourceful, valuable, and educational software programs are out there for flutists (and all other musicians!) There are programs that help to reinforce basic skills. In fact, while reading this I do recall using one of these types of software during my entrance exam for my undergraduate studies! These are things like musictheory.net, and Fast Rabbit Software (they have Dolce Ear Training and Dolce Music Flash Cards).

She also pointed out the various practice tools available. There is an online metronome! I had no idea!  (Of course, now I really don't have an excuse when I leave my metronome at school...) She also wrote about SmartMusic (see my old blogs!!) In my old blog, I believe I failed to mention that the program writes out the line you played and actually highlights your mistakes and shows you on the staff the correct note! That is really helpful for students.

She also brings up Supplemental Material - these are mostly just flutey things. There are recorded performances of Moyse's Tone Development Through Interpretation online ( I had no idea ).

Campell states the opportunities we now have to record recitals and lessons - which is very common now. I really should start doing this more often. She talks about using Audacity, but of course now there are many other options as well. For instance, you can record yourself on an mp3 recorder, and on your iPod touch!

Something that I may use in the future that I read in this article is a tool for teachers called Blue Box Invoices. This software creates invoices for unpaid lessons and automatically generates yearly or quarterly income and outstanding-balance statements! She states, "these forms may be e-mailed, faxed posted to a website, or printed with a studio logo and mailing labels." How useful for a teacher with his or her own studio!!! I just might put this into use when I get my own studio of students!

No comments: