Friday, December 19, 2008

Concrete Project

At first, I had a lot of trouble with my concrete project and got very frustrated! I had started with cat sounds, and I was having so much trouble making it sound like music. I think that most of the problem was that I have never used audacity before besides to cut the time down to a certain amount so that it could be added to a video or something like that. Needless to say, my first few concrete projects (if you could even call them projects) were horrible! After meeting with Dr. Gilbert, he assured me that it is indeed hard for just about anyone to make their concrete sound like music, and suggested that I try to use some kind of sounds that are longer so that I have more to work with.

Taking Dr. Gilbert's advice, I found some different sounds. These sounds were longer, and more rhythmic, so it would be easier to make it sound like music. I used sounds entitled: hammer, saw, spray, phone, and creaky door. These sounds all go together because they are all sounds that I associate with people remodeling a house. (My parents do lots of buying and flipping houses, so these are indeed all familiar to me!)

After using these sounds, and after getting better acquainted with using audacity, I found it a lot easier to make it groove. I found it a lot easier to navigate my way around audacity, using silence, cut, copy, paste, etc. I also played around with the wahwah affect and changing pitches, though I did not include it in my final concrete project, because the phone and the creaky door had changing pitches as it was, so I left those as is.

I'm glad that I kept trying different things so that I could better adjust myself to the Audacity program. I feel like I could definitely use Audacity for useful things in the future!

No comments: